Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Fastest USB Flashdrive

Well, I don't know if this is the fastest flash drive on the market right now, but from all the reviews I have read, it was consensus that the fastest thumbdrive you can buy right now is this Sandisk Extreme 64GB. I bought one and personally can tell you that this thing can read and write data much faster than all of my existing flash drives that have the USB2 interface. The Sandisk Extreme 64GB is at least 3 times faster with write speed of 80MB/sec and read of a whopping 135MB/sec. Of course, I plugged this drive into a USB3 port on a PCIe adapter card on my 5 year-old PC running Windows 8 64bit. USB-based data transfers can consume a lot of CPU cycles so you may not get these transfer speeds if your computer has a slower CPU. Incidentally, I use the copying of a 5GB file as a test. If you copy multiple smaller files, the average speed is undoubtedly slower, but I assume it is still faster then the USB2 drives.

You can grab one from Amazon here. I assume the 190 MB/s advertised rate on Amazon site is based on a test on a machine with beefier specs than mine.

http://tinyurl.com/m2nvjor

No comments:

Post a Comment