Tuesday, March 4, 2014

How To Create Macrium Reflect Bootable Rescue CD/USB

As a computer technician, I install Windows and Mac OS a lot, more than I ever want to do so because the tasks are time consuming and tedious. Fortunately, there are programs like Macrium that can create a snapshot of my Windows installation so that I do not need to re-install Windows from scratch for the next time. I would simply put back the image. This would without exaggeration save me hours of tedium. Drive cloning and its related cousin drive imaging are two of the staples of a computer technician's tool set. In fact, if someone who claims to be a computer technician and has no idea how to clone or image drives, then you might want to have someone else fixing your computer.

You can run the Macrium program directly in Windows and create an image from within. That is, the Macrium program is installed into the Windows that it images producing an image that includes itself. However, being the purist and minimalist that I am, I prefer the imaging program doing it from outside Windows. This means I would boot the media storage that contains Macrium from a CD or USB stick and from that, create an image of Windows from the harddrive. This way, the resulting image does not contain any traces of Macrium.

The link below shows you how to create a bootable CD or USB from which you can run the Macrium software. This way, you can only create an image manually every time you boot from the CD or USB stick. There is no automatic incremental imaging here. To do that you have to install Macrium into Windows. It is also not a free program compared to its smaller portable version.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-macrium-reflect-bootable-rescue-cdusb/

No comments:

Post a Comment