Saturday, May 3, 2014

Trouble-shooting Intel VT-x Issues

https://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8978

I have a PC that has the Z87 chipset and an i5 CPU. Both support Intel VT-x.  However, whenever I try to run a 64bit version of Windows 8 as a guest OS, I would get this error message.

So far, I have not found a solution. I have updated the BIOS to the latest version. I have even re-installed Windows 8 Professional 64bit as the host OS. I have enabled VT-d in the BIOS. Curiously, in the BIOS of the Z87M-Plus motherboard, it says that VT-x is supported but there is no setting where I can toggle it on and off. The only ON/OFF switch is for VT-d. However, according to the KB article above, VT-d is irrelevant for VMware Workstation. It is only important for ESXi.

This is the first time that I have encountered this problem where I have a motherboard that supports 64bit CPUs and has a 64bit CPU and yet, it cannot run a 64bit guest OS. On this Z87M-Plus motherboard, it can run 32bit guests just fine.

Update: I updated to a Z97M-Plus motherboard with an i5-4690 CPU and VMWare Workstation now can run 64-bit Windows 7 and Windows 8 without fuss. I am still not sure why the Z87 chipset cannot run them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment